PHOTO GALLERY #1
© Copyright, 2013, R. Fleischer
My grandfather; mom's side of the family. He was a short man, only 5'2", here he is in his twenties. I made this photo from a very old glass plate negative I found when going through my dad's photographic studio. Grandpa had many adventures in his life. I was to inherit all his various motorcycles, big-game hunting equipment, etc. My two uncles, on my mother's side of the family, somehow managed to sell off what I was to get while I was traveling. By the time I got back to the USA from my fun & games for an Agency, one of these two uncles had died. I took sweet revenge on the other. Just how, is not for publication here. Revenge, whilst sweet, did not bring me the items long gone.
One of my R60/2 bikes. Heinrich-equipped, hand-formed aluminum fairing items. I think this photo was taken at the BMW factory distributorship picnic in 1963. I don't remember the details on the second photo...wasn't mine.
Vincent Black Knight. Mine was almost exactly the
same as this one. I thought I had the only one in
the USA back then. NOT SO. I had
EIGHT various Vincent's, long ago. I raced one at paved tracks, another was used for my world's record run at Bonneville, in August 1971.
1984 R100RT, when I first purchased it.
I did a quickie service; then went for a
short 735 miles test ride. As purchased
it came with an aftermarket tall windshield,
big rear trunk, backrest, tank cover,
Russell Day-Long saddle, turbo clutch
(grabby when cold), radio, Brown
side-stand, Reynolds RideOff center-stand.
I later installed running lights conversions
of my own design. It does NOT have
dual-plugging. This bike became my
second-to-last 2 wheeler Airhead for
long-distance touring. I kept records of the
amount of time spent on fixing & modifying
this motorcycle. Over 100 hrs. I think the
large trunk was from Luftmeister. I modified
the backrest with a sturdy internal metal
plate, ETC. I installed an EnDuraLast
1st generation alternator. This bike was
used as a test-bed during that alternator's
final development, particularly installation
details & instructions. It left me for the new
owner in January 2014.
for all the details.
Above: One of my license plates. The
500K signifies my mileage on BMW's,
well over that now. I have these factory
awards badges: 100K, 200K, 300K, 400K,
500K, 600K. Below is my 600K.
My 1983 R100RT, before the Ural Hack
was put on it. Somehow the picture shows
lots of aliasing. This bike, with hack attached,
is described in several different articles on
this website, including technical articles on
the subframes, mounts, brake modifications,
etc. LOTS of modifications. Few areas of
the bike were not modified. Several photos
of the bike with the sidecar attached, are below.
Rocky, my pet Raccoon. I am sticking my
Another view of Snowbum & Rocky, a different,
The Airhead-Ural hack rig was my 2001-2 project.
Me, same rig, at a yearly Griffith Park Sidecar
Rally. The spare fuel can & the spare wheel/tire
are not in this photo...as this photo was taken
just two days after I got the rig running, and
took it on its initial short tour; about a 1200
mile round trip!
This is a Kettenkrad, you can Google for
Another Shoveling Morning. YES, that amount
Winter lunch break. The 1968 hopped-up 4WD
Satan's Boys Motorcycle Club, a Los Angeles
Yes, this is on an airplane. Note the sensor wire
Many BMW engines have been put in small
I had a BMW 600. Did NOT look like this one!!!
Below is photo of mine.
I purchased mine brand-new. It cost less than a BMW
bike. Note the original 1956 date on the license plate,
and the last sticker,1959.
I driving this car to work, at Telemeter Magnetics, where
I was an electronics design engineer (magnetic core
computer!...yes, 1959....) when someone ran a red light
and crashed into the left side, just behind me. I got two
cracked ribs. The car should have been totaled by the
insurance company, but they insisted on having it repaired.
I sold it to a BMW bike owner, who was fully informed
of its accident history. He wanted this little car very badly,
he had VERY bad vision and the bike scared him. He
gave me cash AND his 75/5, which had less than 1000 miles.
This was a fantastic deal for me. The 600 had a nearly
600 cc boxer engine, similar to the R67 in many ways, but
while the R67 had 28 hp at 5600 rpm, the USA car version
had about 20 at at 4500 rpm, throttle restricted.
There was an unknown very powerful spring under the
throttle below the driver and chassis pan. If you removed
that spring you could now get full throttle at the carburetor,
which you could NOT in stock form. It's purpose was,
perhaps, to limit top speed, and NOT, as you might expect,
to limit RPM. With the spring in place, top speed was
about an indicated 65 mph, without the spring it was 82+ mph.
I am SURE you know what I did with that spring. The car
weighed ~1200 pounds, and was slipperier than a bike, so
that ~40 hp made for a fair amount of speed. I drove it ~
80+ mph, pedal to the metal on the freeways. The oiling
system was not the same as as the R67, & there was a very
large shrouded fan to cool the engine, which was quite
happy running at WOT. The front suspension had oiling
reservoirs built into the huge castings, so as long as you
put oil in them at rare intervals, the suspension was
Below is a view of the right side, showing the passenger
Below is a another view of the 600 car, this is actually a
There were a lot of variations, and there were right hand drive
A kit car, from the Pembleton company, in England.
Home-made three cylinder radial engine, using
I've flown that engine!! Note the direction of the
Similar to above, but...look closely at upper and
This was my Vespa P125X, with added racks, fairing,
Harley-Davidson model XA, 1942
For Photo Gallery #2, CLICK
©Copyright, 2013, R. Fleischer
Return to Technical Articles LIST Page
Return to HomePage
Last check/edit: Saturday, March 25, 2017