The ads above are Google-sponsored.
Clicking on them at every visit helps support this website!
Clicking on something inside an advertisement helps even more!!
Join the Airheads Beemer Club!
© Copyright, 2017, R. Fleischer
HEY...JOIN THE CLUB!!
Owners of BMW Airhead motorcycles should seriously consider being Members of the Airheads Beemer Club (ABC).
Why "BEEMER"? Slang for a BMW motorcycle is Beemer; slang for a BMW car is Bimmer (sometimes folks mix these up!).
The Club, and the affiliated Internet-based Airheads LIST, are the major resources for 1970-1995 Airheads technical information, social events, etc. The purpose of the Club is to celebrate OWNERSHIP, RIDING & WRENCHING of/on BMW Boxers with Type 247 or earlier engines, better known as 'an Airhead'. The R45 and R65, which are not Type 247 ARE included. The Club is for all BMW air-cooled motorcycles. Many Airhead owners also have other BMW products; cars, K-bikes, Oilheads, F-bikes..... ALL are welcome to attend the Club outings, including not-yet owners of Airheads.
The Club's internet presence:
Join the Club!! ...and... Join the LIST (hey!...it's FREEEEE)!!
YOU TOO can be an Airhead and Airhead owner ... This means fellowship, good cheer, camaraderie, technical tips/articles, & lots more. (We've been known to allow the occasional airhead to join too)
Need technical or repair help while on the road? Just want to meet and have coffee with some fellow members? The Club has these things covered by a yearly-published Dairectory (yes, that's how it is spelled) booklet (keep it on your motorcycle), containing all sorts of information, including a Membership contact list. Each Member who elects to be in the Dairectory, whether the on-line version, or the printed booklet version, or both, can have his/her listing individualized.
You can send an E-mail note/inquiry to the Airheads LIST, and likely get FAST replies, even local physical, hands-on HELP!
The monthly Club magazine, AIRMAIL, has a technical tips section, called AIRTECH. You will find a variety of questions & answers & sometimes a full-blown article on some problem/situation.
AIRMAIL is NOT just the place for tech, but for social event listings including TechDays, Campouts, Barley Therapy sessions; FREE classifieds; additional sharing of technical information; product finds & reviews; questions; stories; trip reports; events; gathering of information; and, other BMW motorcycle related topics.
Advertisements in AIRMAIL are almost exclusively Airhead-oriented; OFTEN these products and services may not be advertised or easily found elsewhere's; even using an Internet-based search engine.
The inside back cover page of every issue of Airmail (12 per year) contains a list of all Airmarshal's, and how you can contact yours. Airmarshal's are regional coordinators (to say the least...) ....that can do a lot for you.....
Some folks do not join the Club, saying it is due to the higher cost of Club Membership (it is due to mailing costs), for countries other than the U.S. No solution that seems acceptable to all has ever been found for Memberships outside the USA, although it has certainly been discussed considerably. Club Dues are $25/yr in USA; $32/yr in Canada & Mexico; and $50/yr elsewhere. YOU decide if receiving 12 issues of AIRMAIL every year, receiving the Dairectory booklet, & supporting the Club, and its Airhead Central at Rallies, ETC......is valuable enough. Some folks, even those living in the USA, who can easily afford a Membership, still prefer to be cheeep cheeeep cheeeeeep. Think about it ...and, remember, if you are value-conscious, just one use of technical information, etc., can pay for many years of Membership.
The Club does NOT have any fancy high paid staff & organization. Except for the Airmail Editor, the Club is run by volunteers. AIRMAIL's producer/Editor is a founding member of the Club, B. Jan Hoffman. Jan's Airhead number is 1.
Club events are usually well-attended. YOU could volunteer for something too ....how about a TechDay at your house? A Ride? Arranging barley therapy? A dinner, a campout, or Bar-B-Q? Organize or arrange something! As earlier noted, we have Airmarshal's (that's what our regional/State/Country main contacts are called) all over the world to help you. You can see a list/date of Events in each issue of Airmail.
The Club usually has an "Airheads Central" at the biggest rallies, such as the annual rally of the BMW Motorcycle Owners Of America. The Club is chartered by MOA. Airheads Central is a special place for YOU, & you might want to ask about how all that comfortable furniture got there in that big tent, & what happens to the furniture afterwards ...you WILL find that interesting ...and possibly of some later personal use. If you can go to Airheads Club events, DO GO.
If you have a thorny problem, or just want to learn more about your bike, why not organize a "FIX MY BIKE" TechDay at your place (I am NOT kidding). List it in AIRMAIL; and on the Airheads LIST....and, also list it on http://airheads.org.
The ABC (Airhead Beemer Club) has eight Canons (comments ** are MINE):
(1) Airheads ride Beemers with air-cooled heads.
**When we use the word Airhead, we generally mean from the /5 ("Slash 5) models that began production in December 1969, through to the end of production in 1995. This is so, even though earlier models were air-cooled.
(2) Airheads believe that the simplest engineering solutions are best.
**UNfortunately, that means that some pervert this idea, adding Foo-Foos, Farkles & Bling. Despite the idea of simple engineering, some HAVE purchased & even still own an Oilhead, K, F; or, other bikes. We have Members that own many other makes ....including Harley Davidson's and are members of H.O.G.
(3) Airheads appreciate function over form, fact over fiction, & friendship over friction.
**This is very much the norm for Club functions.
(4) Airheads regard money as a tool, not a status symbol.
**Your wallet contents WILL shrink if you purchase enough tools & spare parts, or simply MUST have another Airhead. We have humble wealthy Members, poor Members, Members without members ..........& everything in-between.
(5) Airheads are earthy people who like to camp.
**Some even drive their pickup trucks, loaded with foodstuffs & cold beer to our campsites. Airheads & wannabee Airhead owners are welcomed whether camping or not. If you bring dark Porter, ...and I am there, ...please runneth thy elixir into my Airhead mug or cup.
(6) Airheads maintain their own motorcycles.
**Some do this way better than others. Some are absolute beginners; others have years of experience (at breaking things). Some have major work done by a few specialist Airhead "Gurus". Many of those help, often mightily, on the Airheads LIST, the Facebook pages, ETC. BTW ....NONE of the Gurus have EVER broken ANYthing.... they all lie about that).
(7) Airheads don't take themselves, religion, or life too seriously.
**This does NOT mean they are against religion, or irreligious, just that personal seriousness about religion is just that, personal. B. Jan, Airhead #1, added Canon #7. He said this was to discourage some early members from proselytizing.
(8) Airheads like to share time, knowledge, parts & camaraderie with other Airheads.
**Some even return borrowed tools. (WHO still has my Kukko tools?) Some share dark beer/ale/cigars with me. None have, so far, shared their women with me (Penny would frown on that). You could offer me a brewskie, cigar, or single malt Scotch, & see if my hand stretches out......((BTW....I do NOT drink 'n ride/drive)).
So, why are you waiting...get in on the FUN! ....JOIN!! Give yourself a Present. This is the Season for Giving....so, after giving what you can, for others, especially those in need.......give YOURSELF a gift too. Your very own Membership in the ABC.
The more Airheads in this world, the better chance I have of getting a free cigar or Barley water.
If this shameless appeal has caused a gut-wrenching, sickly, totally guilty-to-the-bone feeling, read further. If not, read further anyway. If you can't read, how did you get this far?
AIRMAIL has some mizpelings sections:
(1) "Whair & When": Listings of TechDay's, Campouts, Rendezvous, Barley Therapies. If you have not attended one, or sponsored one of any, why not, ya dumb @SS/#$%^)\(&*,]. Events of all kinds of interest to Airheads are listed. If you do not know what Barley Therapy is, drop in at one of these listed events & ask for some Barley Therapy.
(2) There is a section for letters/opinions from Members.
(3) Stories, pictures, and coverage of events.
(4) News pertinent to riders.
(5) Editor's comments in an Editorial, rare now, more likely is a short comment or article on things to know.
(6) There is a monthly technical article called AIRTECH. These were written for many years by OAK. "OAK" Okleshen, who passed away in April, 2017, was a BMW wrench par excellence. Oak was an officially recognized 'Friend of the Marque'. If you don't know what that means, ask. Oak's AIRMAIL articles were always a must. Unlike other magazines, we 'Headz' NEVER throw out Airmail's, they are kept as permanent reference material. Oak's technical columns & other writings are NOT available on the Internet for free downloading. The status of Airtech will be decided shortly.
(7) Classifieds (someone goofed, it's spelled correctly) ...no charge for Members.
(8) AIRHEADS AIRSTORE offers pins, logo'd patches, windbreakers, ball caps, earrings, banners, mugs, buckles, long & short sleeve T's, sweatshirts, stickers, beverage Koozie's, cups, 16 ounce etched logo beverage glasses, steins, calling cards, flags/banners, M/C license plate frames, temporary tattoos for kids and would-be kids... Airhead logo'd;... and LOTS MORE.... even calendars and shop rags! You can also view AIRSTORE items at http://airheads.org. Have at least one Airheads shirt! If you have TWO mugs or TWO steins, you can fill both with beer, and offer the contents of one to me ... GRACIAS!
(9) There is advertising scattered about in AIRMAIL. AIRMAIL advertising is modest, and is Airhead-oriented. You won't find any constantly annoying attitude, nor hyping, of the latest BMW products. AIRMAIL does NOT toe the BMW factory line nor grovel at the feet of spin doctors. You will likely find the advertising to be of value. It is hardly just farkles, these ads cover who repairs, services, & supplies things you want, or will need ...and MANY other pertinent things.
In addition to AIRMAIL, a Dairectory is published. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, another cutesy spelling. The MOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America), if you are a Member, sends you every year their "Anonymous" booklet. The Airheads Beemer Club has its own version. You do not need to be a MOA Member to use the ABC Club's Dairectory, & vice versa. But, these two booklets are usually all you need when on the road. You can contact Members of one ... or both ... organizations ...& a lot of reference material is also provided. It is hard to travel anyplace & not be within range, via a phone call or an E-mail, for anything from coffee & conversation ...to a spare room ...or really serious mechanical/electrical help. Keep these booklet(s) someplace on your bike!
Join The Airheads Beemer Club!! .... if you join, you don't have to read this again...unless you want to see the changes in the latest version of this shameless appeal. I'm running out of shame.... well, witty changes, anyway. You will be able to stop feeling guilty. WE KNOW YOU FEEL GUILTY. Think of the PRESTIGE, your VERY OWN ABC number; your VERY OWN listing in the Dairectories.
Contact the Airheads Membership Team: firstname.lastname@example.org or; use http://www.airheads.org/join
©Copyright, 2017, R. Fleischer
Return to Technical Articles LIST Page
Return to HomePage
Last check/edit: Thursday, April 06, 2017